You have probably heard how paramount effective writing is whilst working in the public sector. So, it’s important to learn how other organisations are using their effective writing skills to change the way they interact, improve service delivery and their own written communication.
Let’s start with the basics…What do public sector professionals need to write, proof and edit?
- Policy documents
- Internal communications
- Stakeholder communications
- Website updates
- Briefings and submissions
- Bids and tenders
- Contract documents
What makes writing effective in the public sector?
With practice, we are all capable of producing succinct and effective writing. By learning advanced skills and techniques you can dramatically improve your written communication skills and gain confidence in your abilities.
At Understanding ModernGov, we pride ourselves on delivering high-quality writing courses, which have made a significant impact on our delegates professional development.
We deliver a whole range of writing courses from producing briefs and submissions for government officials; compiling business cases and bids; editing and proofing emails and websites; writing more effective and shorter reports, and just helping people improve their writing.
These courses are delivered by our fantastic communications trainer, Sue Calthorpe who has delivered some of our most popular training courses, which consistently receive excellent feedback.
Please see below just a handful of our testimonials:
- "I found the course entirely relevant and focused on the objective. The material was excellent, and the course well-paced and delivered with clarity" - Category Manager, Loughborough University
- "This is the most useful course I had in years. I would highly recommend it to all editors" - Senior Policy Communications Officer, Lambeth Council
- "I really enjoyed the course in particular that the trainer could identify how you could use the learning in your role and improving objectives on PDR" - Staff Development and Internal Communications, ECITB
- "Well paced, thought provoking and useful hints/tips" - Deputy Director Service Manager, Home Office
- "Sue was a great trainer and really kept me engaged. Constructive and helpful, will definitely recommend" - Senior Commissioning Officer, Essex County Council
- "Engaging, enjoyable and evidence based. A terrific course" - Communication Manager, ABHI
- "Well worth investing one day for a future of better writing" - Decisions/Appeals Officer, SIA
- "Wow. Sue is a very personable and extremely knowledgeable trainer. She brought the subject to life and made it interesting. No death by PowerPoint here" - Head of primary Care Policy, NHS England
- "Great approach to what could be a very dry topic. Really enjoyed." - Outreach and Stakeholder Engagement, Intellectual Property Office
- "Informative, great that it was interactive, style and language easy to understand and follow" - Business Manager, NSPCC
- "Great day, great trainer, Sue is brilliant and makes everything easy" - Communications Business Partner, Leonard Cheshire
- "Susan was very engaging and provided me with great practical advice to take into the workplace" - Analyst Social Research, Department for Work and Pensions
How do I attend one of Sue Calthorpe’s writing courses?
You can view Sue’s full biography here. We have carefully added each writing course that Sue is training on the right hand side on her bio page. But please take a look at all of our upcoming courses here.